Wise County Justice of the Peace
Precinct 2

Justice of the Peace, Pct 2 Home

IBC Checks

Filing a Case in Justice Court

Criminal Traffic

Occupational Driver License

Marriage Licenses

Courtroom Attire

Precinct 2 Map

Parent/Teen Resources

Office Motto

Constable Pct 2

Juvenile Offenders

Truancy/Fail to Attend

Ticket Flow Chart

Commercial Drivers

Court Fees

OCA Reports

Filing for an Occupational Driver License In a Wise County Justice Court




Q: What is an occupational license?


A: An occupational license is a special restricted license issued to persons whose license has been suspended or revoked for certain offenses. Texas Transportation Code Section 521.242, 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.7.


Q: Is the court order the occupational license?


A: No, this is the order granting the occupational license. The court order and all other required items must be submitted by you to the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) so an occupational license can be issued.


Note: The Wise County Justice of the Peace office does not forward any documents to DPS.


Contact DPS at: (512) 424-2600 or at their website: http://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/


The court order may be used as a license for 45 days from the date of the judges signature while DPS processes the occupational license.


Q: Can I get my $41.00 filing fee refunded if the License is not granted?

A: No



To file for an Occupational Drivers License you must:


Familiarize yourself with the requirements as set out in the Transportation CodeSection 521.241 -521.253,http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Search.aspx


1. File a Petition with the appropriate Justice of the Peace office.  Print the petition located here, or at your local Justice of the Peace Office in Wise County. 


2. Obtain and file an SR-22 Certificate of Insurance. An Insurance Agent may assist you in obtaining the SR-22.


3.  Obtain and file a Driving Record. This can be requested from the following DPS website: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLicense/


4. Obtain and file a letter from employer or school certificate if needed.


5. Be sure to gather all paperwork that the Petition requires listed under section 6.


6. Print,fill out and file the civil case information sheet located here.




This procedure can be very complicated. It may be beneficial to employ an attorney to assist you. The Judge, and the respective staff are prohibited by law to assist you in the preparing of the application or procedural steps taken after the Judge signs the order.



"A judge shall not initiate, permit, or consider ex parte or other communications made to the judge outside the presence of the parties....concerning the merits of a pending or impending judicial proceeding. A judge shall require compliance with this subsection by court personnel subject to his or her direction and control..." Code of Judicial Conduct, Canon 3, Section B. (8).